CAERNARFON Town’s impressive start to the JD Cymru Premier season came to an end with a 3-1 loss at Barry Town United.

The Canaries were unbeaten in two under Huw Griffiths prior to the contest, but they were undone by some ruthless finishing that proved to be the difference between the two sides.

Another daunting task awaits the Cofis’ next Sunday when they welcome dethroned champions The New Saints to The Oval, which will see them come up against former star midfielder Leo Smith for the first time since he departed the club this summer.

The visitors got off on the front foot and almost went ahead on two minutes when Sion Bradley found the side-netting, with Clayton Green creating United’s first opportunity of note after 17 minutes but blazed over from just inside the area.

Kayne McLaggon spurned a tremendous chance midway through the half when he headed straight into the hands of Joel Tebbitts with the goal at his mercy, but the same player made no mistake soon after to give the home side the lead with 38 on the clock.

Tremendous movement in the box from McLaggon enabled him to meet another delivery, and this time he managed to find the net from eight yards.

After the break saw Gavin Chesterfield’s side come out on the front foot and they were rewarded with a second thanks to a powerful header from Curtis MacDonald following a corner.

This swung the momentum firmly in the path of the hosts, who made even more pressure count on 62 minutes with a crucial third goal, which arrived courtesy of the prolific McLaggon to all-but guarantee the points.

Credit to the visitors, they kept plugging away and managed to get themselves on the scoresheet immediately following the restart when Mike Hayes continued his impressive start to life in a Canaries’ shirt when he steered a Joe Williams cross into the net.

Bradley almost added a second late on for the away side when his powerful effort flew inches wide, which left United seeing out the remainder of the game comfortably.