SATURDAY'S Division Three (North) encounter between table-topping Rhuthun 2nds and Holyhead had looked in the balance in the days leading up to match due to the inclement weather.

With two evenly matched teams, both unbeaten in the league, the pitch conditions ensured it was a tight affair.

The first half ebbed and flowed, with Ruthin's ascendancy in the tight phases and set pieces well matched by Holyhead's defence and ability to counter at speed.

Neither try line was threatened in the first half-an-hour of the game, but the battle on the field remained engrossing.

After 30 minutes, Ruthin opted for a shot at goal from a penalty kick in Holyhead territory.

Scrum half Deian Williams stepped up to casually knock over the three points, with a little assistance from the crossbar.

Straight from the restart and Holyhead began to make inroads into the Ruthin half.

Some sloppy passing from the Blues under their own sticks resulted in pressure in possession on their own try-line.

A blocked clearance kick would lead to a soft Holyhead try right in front of the posts.

Ruthin were lucky to keep the score at 7-3 going into half-time as Holyhead were unable to convert further pressure into points.

A good attack down the left side finished with a knock-on to draw the half to a close.

Dwayne 'the Brigadier' Speakman was introduced into the melee for the start of the second half.

He immediately made his presence known with a big shot on the Holyhead player receiving the kick-off.

That tackle was to set the tone for the next 20 minutes.

Ruthin's increased physicality and continued dominance at the set piece quickly resulted in a try from Speakman at a driving maul.

Within a few minutes, Ruthin added to their lead with a try from prop forward Jason Johns-Humphreys.

Both tries were converted by Deian Williams to give Ruthin a 17-7 lead 10 minutes into the second half.

Throughout the game, Ruthin's back three were able to keep bringing the ball back into Holyhead territory.

During the early second half purple patch further pressure was converted into points.

Camped in Holyhead territory, the third and final try was added through Gethin Hughes' strong direct run from close range.

Deian Williams added a further conversion to stretch the lead to 24-7.

The final 15 minutes were played out in the Ruthin 22, with Holyhead unable to capitalise on sustained pressure thanks to excellent and committed defence from the Blues.

The win sees Ruthin move clear at the top of Division Three (North).

It was a great contest and a terrific advert for the league.

There's still a long way to go, but both teams will be confident they will be in the league title conversation come the end of the season.