HOLYHEAD Hotspur manager Darren Garmey hailed his side’s fighting spirit after they held on for a 3-2 triumph at Greenfield.

The Holy Islanders’ had a commanding lead before having their nerves tested late on, but they remained firm in the face of pressure to get their Lock Stock Welsh Alliance Division One title challenge back on track.

Garmey, said: “Pleased with the reaction after last week’s defeat, we were outstanding in the first half especially, and were unlucky not to have been more than one up at the break.

“Then to be honest I am disappointed we didn’t close the game off at 3-0 but credit to Greenfield they had a real go and caused our defence plenty of problems and really made us work for the three points.”

A superb finish from Chris Jones on 14 minutes gave the away side a slender cushion at the break, and goals courtesy of Dewi Thomas and a Kenleigh Owen penalty shortly following the interval put Spurs in a commanding position.

This did not deter the hosts for the remainder of the game, and they made things interesting late on as efforts from Connor Hughes and Ryan Andrew Jones put them within touching distance of salving something from the game before eventually falling to defeat.

Ryan Rowlands was the start of the show once again for Amlwch Town in their Division Two home clash with Llandudno Albion, firing in a brace to steer the hosts to a narrow 2-1 success over the Railwaymen.

There was no such luck for Pentraeth, who were on the wrong end of a 4-2 reverse at in-form Kinmel Bay.

Matty Griffiths made the most of the space afforded to him with a well-taken effort to break the deadlock on 11 minutes for the home side, and things got even better for the home side soon after when skipper Ashley Wood produced a sensational header to double their advantage.

The visitors were not going down without a fight and reduced the arrears thanks to a fine finish from Jack Abbott Welsh with 35 on the clock, but Bay restored their cushion after the break when Griffiths notched his second of the afternoon.

The home side wrapped up the points late on when Matthew Marsh Evans rounded off a fine team move, and despite a Carwyn Roberts goal late on for the visitors it was not enough to alter the overall outcome of the contest.