BANGOR City’s young side were beaten 3-1 at home by Huws Gray Alliance strugglers Penrhyncoch.

The Citizens started the game in dominant fashion but were unable to make the most of a barrage of corners in the opening exchanges, and they were made to pay on 22 minutes when a defensive mistake presented a chance to Jon Evans, and the forward calmly slotted past Nathan Woolland to give the visitors a slender cushion.

This was met by a swift response from the home side, who missed a golden chance to restore parity to the score-line on 25 minutes when Gethin Thomas somehow missed the target from two yards out.

The Roosters were visibly buoyed by the goal and another City error at the back saw them fall further behind on 34 minutes when they converted from close range, and Gary Taylor-Fletcher’s men were reduced to ten immediately following the restart when defender Michael Johnston was shown a straight red for a robust challenge in midfield.

Assistant manager Alan Moogan was also sent to the stands for dissent in the closing stages of the first half, with Alex Boss almost getting on the end of a Robbie Parry delivery in what turned out to be the hosts final chance of the first period.

Parry fired a free-kick straight at the keeper in the opening action of the second period, and Thomas produced a fine header on 48 minutes that dropped the wrong side of the post.

Talented midfielder Thomas was proving to be a thorn in the visitors’ side and hit the side-netting on 54 minutes after good work from Jacob Farleigh, and they were made to pay for their inefficiency in front of goal on 58 minutes when Evans notched a third for the away side.

A red card for the visitors as Liam Lewis lashed out at Tom Reilly on 62 minutes made it ten-a-side, and City made the most of this instantly as Parry converted from the spot on 68.

They were unable to make further inroads on the tie for the remainder of the second period for their second straight loss against a team fighting for survival.