BANGOR City’s six-match winning run came to end with a narrow 2-1 loss at fierce rivals Rhyl.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher was unable to mark his first game at the helm with victory after what was a thoroughly entertaining derby affair, and the Citizens’ will now turn their attention to the JD Welsh Cup and their third-round clash with Holyhed Hotspur at the VSM Stadium on Friday night (7.30pm).

The home side made a strong start to proceedings when a Ben Nash header was saved by Nikki Lee Bulmer, with Robbie Parry blazing over an effort at the other end.

City striker Les Davies was fortunate to escape with a yellow after a bad challenge on Peate, and the Lilies went close once again on 17 minutes when Mike Pritchard headed wide after good work from Aaron Hassall.

Winger Jacob Farleigh rattled the woodwork after 23 minutes with a cross that never really threatened Jonathan Hill-Dunt’s goal, and the hosts went straight up the other thanks to a sweeping attacking move that presented a chance to James Murphy, who drilled the ball high into the net to give them the lead.

Things almost got even better for the home side soon after when Gareth Partridge narrowly missed out on latching on to a delivery from the impressive Cai Owen, with Alex Darlington also firing wide just before the break from a dead-ball situation.

After the break saw Gary Taylor-Fletcher’s side start on the front foot with Darlington forcing a comfortable save from Hill-Dunt, and defender Mike Williams was unfortunate not to net a second in as many games when his header was hacked off the line.

They were finally rewarded for their persistence after 75 minutes when a mistake from Joe Culshaw allowed Sam Jones to fire a shot on target which Hill-Dunt could only divert into the path of Darlington, who levelled proceedings from close range with the rebound.

This provoked a strong response from the hosts, who got their noses in front once again soon after when Culshaw atoned for his earlier mistake with a superb free-kick that was steered in by Peate.

The Lilies’ held firm in the closing stages to record a first win in seven over their rivals, with a Williams cross hitting the bar the closest they came to another equaliser.