BANGOR City avoided a JD Welsh Cup upset after coming away with a 3-2 win at Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant.

The Citizens produced a professional performance in difficult conditions to reach the last eight of the competition, and Kevin Nicholson’s side will look to keep their positive momentum going when they open Phase Two of the JD Welsh Premier League campaign at home to Cardiff Met on Saturday (4.15pm).

The City boss, said: “We were really pleased to win the game and progress through to the quarter finals of the competition.

“Credit to Llanrhaeadr, we were pushed all the way by them in what was a well contested and tricky cup tie throughout, and I’m sure they had the whole village out supporting them. It certainly wasn’t easy and having looked at the pitch prior to kick off, we knew that would be a potential leveller in terms of the game and credit goes to our players because it certainly wasn't an easy afternoon and in general they handled the game and conditions very well.

“We recovered well after going a goal down early on and that was down to the attitude of the team. We were professional, scored three goals and got the job done.

“It was so important to come here and get through to the next round, because maybe that’ll kick start us on another run again hopefully.

“We’re all looking forward to the game on Saturday against Cardiff. The first game in a new ten game season is how we’re looking at it, and I think that’s the way we have to look at it, and we’ll be looking to take as many points as possible from the second phase.”

The Spar Mid-Wales side took a shock lead on seven minutes when Iwan Matthews converted from the penalty spot, before Yves Zamba marked his debut with a leveller when he headed home a Laurence Wilson cross on 12.

Another debutant got the visitors in-front for the first time as Joel Bembo-Leta prodded home from close range on 23 minutes, and the same player was on hand to double their advantage with his second on 51 with a fine header.

City were reduced to ten men when Wilson was shown a second yellow card midway through the half, and despite Dan Graham reducing the arrears on 87 minutes the away side held on to progress.