A MAN from Gwynedd who became embroiled in a 15-hour standoff with armed police has been jailed.

Cameron Jennings-Williams, 22, of Hafan Deg, Tanygrisiau, was sentenced to two years’ imprisonment at Caernarfon Crown Court today (April 11).

He had admitted charges of possession of a bladed article, threatening with a bladed article in a private place, and intentionally/recklessly causing a public nuisance.


Caernarfon venue boss suspended after stalking conviction

Prosecuting, Karl Scholz told the court that, at about 12.15am on August 16, 2023, police received a phone call from Kayla Jones, a 50-year-old woman, in a “distressed state”.

She had been in a neighbouring property when she saw Jennings-Williams with a large scythe concealed down his trousers.

Jennings-Williams threatened her, saying: “I’m going to cut your head off, and I’m going after your dog.”

Ms Jones called police after Jennings-Williams left and she returned to her flat, saying she feared for her and her dog’s lives and that he was “off his head”.

Police found Jennings-Williams in his long-term partner’s flat on Hafan Deg, in an “extremely aggressive” and “agitated” state.

He had another knife with him, and his partner, Anest Morgan, was also there, as he made numerous threats to harm himself and others and refused to let officers into the property.

Eventually, armed police, a dog handler, and a negotiator were called to the scene as the 15-hour siege began.

At one point, Jennings-Williams presented a vodka bottle with a rag in it, and said he would light it and that petrol had leaked from within the property.

Neighbours had to evacuate their homes as Jennings-Williams continued to resist police, and “point-blank refused” to let Ms Morgan leave, either.

Family members and support workers also attended the scene, but Jennings-Williams would still not engage, and made makeshift barricades to hinder police entry.

He told officers he had weapons and firearms, adding: “I know what I’m capable of.”

Jennings-Williams eventually exited and was arrested, by which time a road had also been closed.

Defending Jennings-Williams, who has three previous convictions for seven offences, Elen Owen said he largely made “empty threats” during the standoff with police.

He had been “seriously provoked” by Ms Jones, she added, and later became “sick with panic” after the siege ensued.

Ms Owen said he has suffered with alcohol and substance misuse, and has a “long history of mental health problems”.

Sentencing, Judge Nicola Saffman imposed a 10-year restraining order on Jennings-Williams, prohibiting him from contacting Ms Jones or entering Hafan Deg.

All items seized from him were ordered to be forfeited and destroyed.

Judge Saffman told him: “Clearly, police had to take your threats at face value.

“This was a huge burden on precious emergency service resources.”

Following the sentencing, Superintendent Gethin Jones said: “The impact this incident had on the community and emergency service resources was hugely significant and could have been prevented.

“It must have been terrifying; not only for the victim, but for the community and the residents who were unable to gain access to their homes for a long period of time – some of which had young children.

“During the 15-hour incident, officers committed at the scene were also unable to provide a service elsewhere.

“I welcome today’s sentence and hope it sends a clear message that robust action is taken against those who intentionally cause a public nuisance.”