A MAN has been jailed for a year after he admitted a "vile" assault against three police officers.

Dylan Parry Jones, of Rhosgyll Bach in Chwilog, appeared at Llandudno Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

The 25-year-old admitted three counts of assaulting an emergency workers in Gwynedd, as well as damaging a police cell in Caernarfon - all on Monday (April 19.)

Jim Neary, prosecuting, told the court police were alerted by a member of the public to Jones shouting at his former partner, who was with a small child, outside her home.

Police went to the scene and when trying to calm him down Jones spat in the face of one of the officers, which led to his arrest.

On the way to custody, Jones began to complain of chest pain - so he was taken to Ysbyty Gwynedd for tests.

While they awaited the results, officers placed Jones back in the van, where he spat in the face of another officer.

In custody at Caernarfon, officers became concerned he was trying to harm himself, so they entered to prevent him from doing so.

His response was to strike one of the officers' arms with his hand.

Mr Neary said any "right minded individual" would think his behaviour "vile, disgusting and degrading."

He was verbally abusive throughout the incidents, Mr Neary added.

Liz Jones, defending, said: "He is deeply ashamed and embarrassed.

"He wants to apologise to all of the officers in question.

"He tells me he has has a problem with cocaine and his life has taken a downward spiral.

"The day in question was the first day he had no drugs and he was feeling unwell and withdrawing.

"The police tried to help him and he acted in a very bad way. "He accepts he has a significant drugs problem due to the events in his life."

District Judge Gwyn Jones said: "Those officers came as a result of concerns as to your behaviour to your former partner - it is clear you were having a domestic.

"Your behaviour was appalling and spitting was totally unacceptable.

"It is vile - those are your words.

"This is a matter where only immediate custody can be justified."

Jones was jailed for a total of 52 weeks.

Following sentencing, Sgt Darren Kane said: "It’s pleasing to see the courts take a robust approach when dealing with such offences, sending out a strong message that acts such as this will not be tolerated.

"An assault on an officer will never be considered as just being part of the job."