AN ELDERLY couple evacuated their Anglesey home after a fire was sparked by their freezer while they were asleep.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said it was called to the property at Dolafon, Benllech just after 1.30am following reports of a fire during the early hours of Monday morning.

The incident was caused by the couple's fridge freezer in their utility room after heat from the back of the appliance ignited items which had fallen behind it.

A smoke detector, that had been fitted by the fire service activated after the blaze, had broken out which woke up the couple.

They proceeded to close the door of the utility room before leaving the property without any injuries.

"Crews from Benllech and Llangefni were called to the property at Dolafon, Benllech at 1.35am on Monday, October 12 and used one hose reel to extinguish the fire," a fire service spokesperson said.

North Wales Chronicle:

Dolafon, Benllech. Picture: Google Maps

"The residents were checked over by staff from the Welsh Ambulance NHS Trust at the scene but were confirmed to be uninjured."

Dave Greene, fire safety officer, said the incident is a "clear example" of the importance of having a working fire alarm in the home.

“This incident highlights the importance of working smoke alarms – if the alarm had not roused them, the consequences could have been fatal," he said.

“As part of a night time routine, we encourage residents to close all internal doors before going to bed.

“It’s important to keep electrical appliances clear of combustibles and other items that restrict their natural cooling methods, leading to overheating and ignition.

“Our advice is to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible."