ANGLESEY Council’s plans for a new football pitch have been met with confusion - due to the facility’s proposed location.

A report presented to the Council's Executive confirmed the authority had been successful in a bid for grant funding towards a 3G surface in Menai Bridge.

The “mini” 3G surface is set to be installed at a tennis court at the David Hughes leisure centre with the council to pay £8,000 towards the total cost of £80,000, with the remainder made up thanks to the Wales Collaborative Sports Facilities Group – which includes the Football Association of Wales.

Meanwhile, the authority has also been successful in a separate bid to upgrade the fitness equipment at Llangefni’s Plas Arthur Leisure Centre.

The project, at a cost of £130,000, will see the authority contribute £90,000 with the remaining £40,000 coming via a grant from Places for Sports.

The news has left many in Holyhead scratching their heads. During November, the town's council-run Millbank facilities have become waterlogged and labelled 'embarrassing' by locals.

Manager of one of the several football clubs in the town - Holyhead Hotspur Reserves - Tom Scott set up a petition to get an all-weather pitch set up, attracting nearly 2,000 signatures.

Speaking on the plans for a 3G pitch in Menai Bridge, he said: "'Yet again the Council have basically laughed Holyhead off and offered no help.

"Menai Bridge Tigers have said it’s not going to be a full size pitch there but I don’t know if that’s true or not. However, I do know that nobody from the council has bothered to even enter engaging in a conversation with us regarding a pitch of any size in Holyhead."

Holyhead Hotspur player Daniel McGinness added: "Holyhead has over 500 people that would use a 3G pitch almost every week yet we can’t get funding for a 3G pitch and have to carry on using a facility that isn’t safe.

"Menai Bridge already have a 3G facility, not even five minutes away from the school and they are granted funding."

Responding, an Anglesey Council spokesperson said: “We have made every effort to ensure the works identified (at Millbank) were finished as soon as possible.

“Unfortunately, weather hampered the works and things took far longer than planned. Heavy rainfall is causing flooding and we expect that there will be periods during the winter when it will not be available for use.”