A RENOVATED 19th century chapel near Denbigh which has ties to a prominent Welsh family has been put on the market.

Wesleyan Chapel, in Llandyrnog, was built in 1810 as part of an increase in Welsh Methodist places of worship during the 1800s. Situated at the centre of the village of Llandyrnog, Wesleyan Chapel carried out services and funerals but had no cemetery.

Now a two-storey home, the chapel was sympathetically converted but retains the original arched timber doors.

It was rebuilt in 1836 and enlarged in 1847, in Gothic style designed by Richard Davies (1778-1849), a prosperous trader from Anglesey who acquired ships and built port infrastructure on the island following the construction of Menai Suspension Bridge. Mr Davies was the father of Richard Davies Jr (1818-1896), the radical Welsh nonconformist MP who represented Anglesey for two decades from 1868-1886.

There remain 175 Methodist churches and chapels in Wales. Pendref, near Factory Place in Denbigh, claims to be the first Welsh-speaking Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Wales, built in 1801, and remains a place of worship.

The converted three-bedroom chapel Llandyrnog is on the market for £250,000 by estate agents Jones Peckover. It has a beamed ceiling, exposed brick walling and a courtyard garden, as well as sweeping views of the Clwydian Range to the west.

For more information about the property or to view, contact Jones Peckover by calling 01745 812127.