A BANGOR man was refused bail after appearing in court in connection with the theft of a stun gun from a plain-clothes policeman.

On Tuesday, Barry John Roberts, of Penrhyn Avenue, Maesgeirchen, pleaded guilty to the theft in the city’s High Street on July 4, and possessing the Taser without authority.

Magistrates at Caernarfon remanded him in custody for sentencing at the town’s crown court on August 2.

Prosecutor Diane Williams said the officer had approached another man for a drugs’ search but there was a struggle.

While they were on the ground, the police constable felt force used on him and the stun-gun attached to his belt had vanished.

CCTV footage had been examined and Roberts, a convicted thief with drug offences on his record and under post-sentence supervision, was identified.

He was detained at Caernarfon and had his flat searched. Stun-gun components were found.

Defence solicitor Glyn Roberts said his client maintained he had picked up the Taser from the pavement after it became detached during the melee. He used no force on the officer and had been unaware he was a policeman, the defendant insisted.

Bail conditions could be imposed, the lawyer added.

“He was walking up the high street and saw an incident and foolishly acted spontaneously,” Mr Roberts declared.

A search is still ongoing to find a missing section of the Taser after the incident, on the High Street last Thursday.

Police confirmed in the subsequent inquiry they had made seven arrests, three people were arrested without charge, three released on conditional police bail and one charged and remanded in custody.

Det Insp Dafydd Curry, speaking ahead of the court hearing, said: “As a result of intensive inquiries, we have recovered some component parts of the missing Taser. However, the main body of the weapon is still to be found. Our team of detectives will relentlessly continue with the investigation until all of the Taser is located and there will be further police activity in response to this unacceptable incident.”

County Chief Inspector for Gwynedd Mark Armstrong said the “despicable assault” on a plain clothes police officer going about his duties had resulted in a significant police presence in and around Bangor following the assault. Although taken to hospital, the officer involved was not seriously hurt. Anyone who finds the missing Taser section is asked not to touch it and to contact North Wales Police on 101.