DETECTIVES investigating the murder of pensioner Gerald Corrigan conducted an Anglesey road check speaking to 25 people on Thursday night.

It is five weeks since the 74-year-old suffered "horrific injuries" when he was shot with a crossbow outside his home, near Holyhead.

During the checks, led by Detective Chief Inspector Brian Kearney, police officers, and those from the Major Incident Team, stopped vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians on the South Stack Road.

The checks were carried out near to the junction of Porthdafarch Road and Plas Road, between 10pm, on Thursday, May 22 and 4am, Friday May 23.

They aimed to glean further information into what happened to Mr Corrigan in the early morning of Friday, April 19.

The Underwater Search Team also conducted a search of the coast near the scene.

DCI Kearney said: “It is important for us to capture witnesses and people who may have information to assist our enquiry,”

“Mr Corrigan sadly died of the horrific injuries he suffered after the bolt passed through his upper body and right arm on May 11.”

DCI Kearney added: “We are seeking to establish any information relating to the victim, vehicles or people seen in the area at the relevant time that might explain how Gerald came to sustain the injuries which then led to his death.”

“I am very grateful to the public for their help and support to date.

“However the answer to this crime lies with one or two key members of the public who know or have suspicions regarding the identity of the person or people involved. I appreciate you may be a friend, partner or family member of the person or people involved.”

“Please do the right thing, come forward, and tell me or my team the vital information you have.”

“Gerald Corrigan was 74 years of age – a pensioner who lived a in a remote and beautiful location.

"He died a cruel and slow death after struggling for survival for three weeks – This bank holiday weekend he should have been with his family and friends enjoying his retirement.

“We need your help – come forward – speak to me and my team in total confidence”.

“We are determined with our communities and visitors help to trace whoever was responsible for this, as a matter of urgency.”

“The information collected yesterday evening will now be reviewed by officers and I would like to thank people for taking the time to speak to us, for their assistance and understanding.”

Anyone who has any information should contact Police on 101 quoting Operation Blue Fulgent or visit the North Wales Police appeal site at where you can send a message directly to the investigation team.

Alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.