LLANBERIS' Mountain Rescue Team has praised the honesty of a grandfather who posted an apologetic review on Facebook after sparking their first big call out of 2019.

Less than two hours into the new year, the unnamed man had called his family to tell them he had become lost on Snowdon.

He had climbed to the summit via the Llanberis path but encountered poor weather before realising he had no idea where he was.

Llanberis Mountain Rescuers took to social media to praise the man, who had sent them a very honest account of his experience.

"It's not often that we get to hear back from people we assist but on this occasion, he’s written a frank account of his evening and we publish it here to educate and not to condemn," a spokesperson said.

The unnamed man said the weather had made a turn for the worse and he believed that he had taken a wrong turn before becoming lost.

The open account, shared by the Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team on Facebook, read: "It was blowing hard, the fog swirling around. I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. There were about 15 to 20 others who made it to the top, 14 had turned back because of the poor conditions.

“I was on my own and took a wrong turn ten minutes from the top on the way down. I knew I was in the wrong place when on top of some rocks with sheer drops below.

"I decided the best thing was to wedge between two small rocks to escape the worst of the wind and rain and get any warmth I could get until it became light at 8.45 – eight-and-a-half hours later, and then I would make my way down.

"I'd got adequate clothing, spare hat and gloves, hot tea and food, a storm lantern, powerful torch and a head torch. I had spare batteries and a charge pack for my mobile, kindly lent me by my daughter.

"My grandson had given me emergency kits, including food, blanket, first aid, etc. These I'd decided not to carry up with me. Also, my son-in-law had given me an army-style sleeping bag which I also declined to carry. Stupidly, I could have done with all of these items!

"I know the mountain quite well and its dangers, or so I thought, and I was sure if I kept still and had a modicum of shelter I'd be fine until morning.”

He added that he had texted a woman called Tracey and a friend to let them know of his "slight predicament".

"I told them, I have it under control and not to worry, and I was just informing them 'just in case'," the statement continued.

"Wrong move, they both saw the seriousness of my little escapade and had even warned me days before not to go, as had my brothers and sisters and mum and dad, who were quite upset with me. But, I never listen, just like any other fool."

The Llanberis team say they were alerted to the situation soon after and set off up the mountain to find the man and lead him to safety.

He was found by a search dog just before 5am. He was cold and wet and beginning to suffer from the effects of cold.

"By the time they arrived I wasn't in the best condition by any means," the man said.

"The rain and wind and cold had taken its toll and as much as I'd exercised to keep myself warm, I was shaking like a mountain jelly and going into shock.

"To all my family, and friends, sorry, for being a prat, but I will always be a prat, I'm my own man, but I do promise to listen to all of your precautionary advice in future. If you ever get the chance to meet these wonderful mountain rescuers, say hello, give them a smile, but most importantly don't put their lives at risk."