Bangor still upbeat on European ambitions


Tomos Hughes

BANGOR City are still targetting a place in Europe next season despite extending their league winless run to nine matches at Port Talbot last weekend.

The club’s dwindling Welsh Premier League title ambitions suffered another blow as they came away from the GenQuip Stadium with just a point.

Reigning champions and league leaders The New Saints now hold an 11-point lead and a game in hand over City, while Andy Preece’s much-improved Airbus UK outfit have a four-point cushion and an extra match over the Citizens.

Having seen his side fail to record a league victory since November 2012, manager Nev Powell believes cementing a spot in next season’s Europa League has become the club’s top priority.

He said: “Obviously to win the league we’ll have to win all our games, but what everyone wants is Europe. There’s four places up for grabs and we definitely want one of them.

“We’ll take each game as it comes and we’ll try and win them all.”

In truth, City were unlucky not to have returned from Port Talbot with all three points, having fashioned a host of chances throughout.

Les Davies had an early opportunity, but failed to connect with a long Chris Roberts throw after Dave Morley’s knockdown.

Keeper Lee Idzi was called into action soon after though, as he dived to deny David Brooks, before Chris Simm dragged a shot wide on the counter.

The deadlock was broken on 32 minutes however, as Brooks beat debutant Kris Thomas to the byeline down the left, and his cross was converted by Martin Rose via
a defelction.

City struck back eleven minutes into the second period, as Simm got ahead of the defender to a Damien Allen cross, and he tapped in from close range.

The visitors, who were playing in their all-red away strip, continued to look for the decisive goal, and came close through Damien Allen free kick, before a Kris Thomas cross nearly forced Ryan Green to divert into his own net.

Their best chance fell to substitute Gary O’Toole, who was brilliantly denied by a one-handed Steven Hall save from close range.

In the 89th minute, City’s celebrations were cut short after O’Toole found the net with a header, only to be ruled out by the linesman, leaving Nev Powell to curse his side’s luck for yet another week.

The Citizens make their last league trip down South this Saturday, February 23, to they face Mark Aizlewood’s Carmarthen Town as they bid to put their barren run to an end (kick off 2.30pm).

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read