Little festive cheer as Bangor City slip


Tomos Hughes


BANGOR City will be hoping to get back on track at Llanelli this weekend after they earned just one point from their festive double-header with rivals Prestatyn Town.

City currently lie third in the Welsh Premier League, seven points leaders The New Saints, with three more matches until the mid-season break before the playoffs.

Nev Powell's men will be hoping to notch their first league win since November at Stebonheath Park, and out to avenge their 2-1 home defeat at the hands of the reds earlier this campaign.

The Citizens will be eager to gain all three points after they were overcome twice be Prestatyn, conceding three goals in the last twelve minutes during their 3-3 draw on the weekend, before losing 4-1 on the New Year’s Day fixture at the Bastion Gardens, having been ahead.

On both occasions, City were undone by the brilliance of Town's attacking duo of Andy Parkinson and Jason Price, who have proved a handful for league defences all season.

On an evening of high winds and high drama at Nantporth, City took the lead on 13 minutes when a Sion Edwards free kick seemed to balloon over stand-in keeper Lee Kendall, as the ball dipped below the bar and into the net.

The hosts were two up on 17, when Chris Simm’s cushioned header from a Chris Roberts cross found Les Davies, and the truck volleyed confidently beyond Kendall.

Town were by no means out of it, as they fashioned a host of their own chances, but found keeper Lee Idzi in top form.

The second half was even more open-ended, but after City struck for a third time on 70 through Peter Hoy, the points looked settled for the Citizens.

Gibson’s men however refused to give up, with the Price-Parkinson partnership raising panic among the City backline.

On 78 minutes, Price tapped home a Parkinson cross, before on 88, a Prestatyn breakaway saw Parkinson providing for the another Price tap in, to set up a tense finale.

The Citizens’ nerves looked shot at the end, and after Idzi superbly denied Parkinson again, the goal came on 92 minutes when an Idzi save found Parker, who buried his shot to seal a thrilling point for Town.

On their visit to Bastion Gardens, City looked to have put the previous tussle behind them in the first half hour, fashioning a number of chances, but Chris Simm twice failed to ripple the net from good positions.

On 30 however, Les Davies provided a touch of class, guiding a Simon Edwards cross with a left-footed volley, to give the Citizens a deserved lead.

This seemed to wake the hosts up, and with Parkinson and Price making a nuisance of themselves, they equalised ten minutes later, when the former benefitted from a weak back-header by Michael Johnston to tap home.

Prestatyn, with the wind behind them, looked better in the second half, and went ahead on 53 minutes, when Neil Gibson put in Michael Parker, who netted at the second attempt.

Town searched for another, and it came 11 minutes later, when a long goal kick found Parkinson, and his lob rebounded nicely for Price via the bar, to stroke in.

Four minutes later it was four, when Ross Stephens beautifully curled a free kick into the top right corner.

Despite Simm hitting the woodwork for City late on, they failed to replicate their opponents’ late show at Nantporth, and were reisigned to starting 2013 in losing fashion.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read