City shrug off defeat to cruise home in cup


Tomos Hughes

BANGOR City will be looking to add another three points to their table-topping tally, as they prepare for the visit of Carmarthen Town to the Book People Stadium this Saturday.

The Citizens bounced back from their controversial defeat to The New Saints with a comfortable 4-1 victory over Aberdare Town in last weekend's Welsh Cup third round tie, and will be hoping for a similar outcome on Saturday.

They host Mark Aizlewood's town side, who last week scraped past Holyhead Hotspur in their cup encounter, and will be expecting another stern test up north this weekend.

Nev Powell's men returned from Richmond Park with all three points when the sides clashed earlier this season, with Chris Simm's goal enough to earn a hard-fought 1-0, and the Nantporth faithful will be hopeful of seeing City's top scorer return to matchwinning form again this weekend.

City have a full squad available, and skipper Jamie Brewerton will be well aware of the threat posed by Town's Liam Thomas who scored his side's both goals at Holyhead, as well as Casey Thomas, who impressed during their stunning 3-0 win at TNS' Park Hall recently.

Bangor meanwhile enjoyed a straightforward return to winning ways against Aberdare Town to progress to the fourth round of the Welsh Cup.

City, playing their strongest line up, began in the ascendancy, putting their opponents under pressure from the first whistle, which paid off when City took the lead on 22 minutes.

A poor headed clearance from a Liam Brownhill cross was well anticipated by Les Davies, who drove a low shot home. Town resisted more City pressure until Jamie Bradford scored at the wrong end to doible the home side’s advantage, before the visitors came a crossbar’s width from equalising with a Danny Hooper strike.

The second period saw much of the same, as City continued to dictate proceedings, and they made it three on 56 minutes when Sion Edwards was quickest to respond after a Chris Simm shot was parried by keeper Tom Bradley.

Although Aber refused to give up, City remained in control throughout and came close to extending their lead on a number of occasions before Aberdare hit back as Sam Small tucked home a rebound from a free kick saved by Idzi.

City wrapped it up though six minutes from time, with former-Liverpool trainee Mark Smyth tapping home a rebounding Alan Bull effort.

Although the visitors twice hit the woodwork late on, the victory was never in doubt, as City go one step further than last year’s thrid round exit to Llanelli.

They travel to face GAP Connahs Quay Nomads in the fourth round.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read