Bad decisions cost City


Tomos Hughes

BANGOR CITY boss Neville Powell was left to rue a series of bad decisions by officials as they went down to a 1-0 defeat against fierce rivals, The New Saints.

After the Saints’ first half opener, Les Davies was denied a clear goal by the officials for his 59th minute header, despite television replays showing the ball crossing the line.

To add to his woes, winger Chris Jones was the victim of a horror tackle by TNS’ Ryan Fraughan, who was lucky to remain on the field afterwards, while defender Chris Roberts thought he’d equalised in the 96th minute, only for the goal to be ruled out for offside.

Nev Powell said: “Every week we seem to be talking about decisions, and they’re affecting results, week after week, and we’ve been on the back end of some poor ones this season, which have cost us points.

“It looked in from where I was, and I’ve seen the photo which shows the same angle that the linesman has got and I cannot understand why an experienced linesman like him didn’t give it. The decisions have gone against us, and it was a bad day at the office.

“Chris Jones was very lucky not have a leg break, it was a horrendous challenge. There were some disappointing challenges and disappointing decisions, but we’ll move on and we’ll take heart from the performance because that was a performance of a top team.

“We’ll take it on the chin, as we always do, pick ourselves up and go again.”

Despite the defeat, City head into this week’s Welsh Cup 3rd round clash against Aberdare Town as leaders of the Welsh Premier League, and Powell insists that his side are still focused on the series of crucial matches coming up.

Powell said: “We’ll move on to the Welsh Cup next week, we’ve got a tough game against Aberdare, and then we’ve got Carmarthen and some big games coming up in the league.”

On a cold evening at Nantporth, The Saints’ Chris Jones capitalised on his side’s bright start to put the Saints one up after just 13 minutes, with a cool finish from 18 yards.

City then kicked into gear, and came close through Chris Simm, before Jamie Brewerton saw a header cleared off the line from the ensuing corner.

The second period saw City dominate, pinning their illustrious opponents back into their own half as they went in search of the equaliser.

The game sprang into life on 59, when Davies saw his header ruled out, sparking scenes of protest from the players and crowd alike.

Damien Allen and Les Davies both headed narrowly over, while TNS should have done better from two two-on-one situations late on.

The final incident saw Chris Roberts turn in a rebound from a Dave Morley free kick to the delight of most of the 737-strong crowd, only for the celebrations to be cut short by the linesman’s upraised flag.

CITY will hope to improve on last season’s Welsh Cup 3rd round exit, as they welcome Aberdare Town to the Book People Stadium on Saturday, kick off at 2:30pm.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read