Owen-Williams boot key to Caernarfon victory


Tomos Hughes


Mold 8 Caernarfon 9

Caernarfon managed to gain a passage through to the next round of the Swalec Cup after doing just enough to edge a tight encounter in Mold.

After a scrappy opening, winger Lance Owen-Williams opened the scoring with a penalty, before Mold equalised ten minutes later after a similar infringement.

Both teams continued to battle for a grip on the match, and just before the break, a handling error by the Cofis allowed winger Luke Jones to sprint clear to score out wide.

Caernarfon put the hosts under pressure early in the second half, which allowed Owen-Williams to step up to score his second, before he punished Mold again after hooker Aron Jones was penalised for holding on, to kick the decisive three pointer.

Mold tried desperately to salvage the game, but the Cofi rearguard remained intact and held out to gain the spoils.

The Cofis make the trip back to Mold next week, as they face each other again in league competition.

Harlech 33 Menai Bridge 17

Menai Bridge failed to gain revenge fotr their one-point defeat three weeks ago by bowing out of the Swalec Plate.

The visitors opened strongly, but failed to turn possession and territory into points.
After going down to 14, Menai were then punished as Harlech scored twice, through winger Martin Perch, and flanker Alex Evans, before Arfon Pugh added a penalty just before half-time.

Prop extended the hosts’ Ieuan Williams early in the second half, prompting Menai to make several substitutions, which seemed to improve possession.

Hard-working no.8, James Roberts ran in a converted try, and after another three points for the hosts, Menai scrum-half Mark Jones squeezed in the corner to further narrow the gap.

However, Harlech centre Andrew Stone intercepted a Menai pass to run in another five-pointer, and despite a late Dewi Thomas score for Bridge, a late Llion Perry try gave the hosts a well-earned win.

Pencoed Ladies 17 Caernarfon Ladies 15

Caernarfon were cruelly denied victory at the death after a pulsating league encounter on their travels.

Skipper Cenin Eifion opened the scoring on the half hour after a mazy run from centre Dyddgu Howell, which brought a response from the hosts when Hannah Seward brilliantly converted a chip-and-chase, which was duly converted by Robin Wilkins to edge Pencoed ahead at half time.

Caernarfon clawed themselves back into the lead with Sera Bailey’s sweetly-struck penalty, before Pen again hit back when Jade Mullen drove with aplomb to touch down, with Wilkins again adding the extras.

Not to be denied, the Cofis hit back when they gained a five metre penalty, allowing Sera Bailey to wriggle her way beyond the try line for a fine score that she also converted.

Caernarfon clung on to their lead, but were unfortunate to concede a penalty at the death, which the trusted Wilkins boot converted to make the homeward journey that much more painful for the Cofi crew.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read