Reds shatter Bangor's unbeaten home record


Tomos Hughes

BANGOR CITY surrendered their 100% home league record with a late 2-1 defeat at the hands of Llanelli.

The south Walian outfit gave a stubborn and uncomprimising account of themselves as they took home all three points thanks to Luke Bowen’s 81st minute winner.

City had reason to feel aggrieved as they were denied a stoppage time penalty after a clear handball in the Llanelli box, but Neville Powell believed his side were lacking on the day.

He said: “It was a blow to lose Damien Allen (to injury) before the game, but we’ve had 60-70% of the play and we’ve got to learn teams like Llanelli can hit you on the counter attack.

“They’ve had two attacks and we’ve conceded the goals too easily. It was just lacking today, we threw the kitchen sink at them.

“We kept on going to the final whistle, but it wasn’t to be today.”

Both sides threatened early on, with wingers Sion Edwards and Geoff Kellaway providing danerous crosses for their respective sides.

City enjoyed the lion’s share of possession, and were rewarded on 13 minutes, when a breakaway counter-attack led to a Sion Edwards low cross, which was well left by Les Davies for Chris Simm to bury home his 10th league goal of the campaign.

Having weathered the City attacking storm, the reds then equalised on the half hour mark, when Martin Rose tucked a low cross into the bottom corner.

Llan grew in confidence after their goal, and during a frenetic end-to-end start to the second period, had a penalty shout emphatically turned down, when Ashley Evans was booked for a dive after a rushed challenge by Michael Johnson.

Sion Edwards and Dave Morley saw half chances go begging, while Kellaway and substitute Luke Bowen went close for the visitors.

Nine minutes from time, the Book People Stadium were left stunned when great movement by Llan’s Rose and Bowen put the City defence at sixes and sevens, and Luke Bowen took advantage to round Idzi and roll in a decisive strike.

City camped outside the reds’ box in search of an equaliser, with Chris Roberts and Sion Edwards denied by timely on-line interventions, before a 93rd minute ricochet in the box off Craig Thomas’ hand had the 657-capacity crowd appealing for a handball to no avail, as Andy Legg’s side took home the spoils.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read