Couple rescued from house fire in Amlwch prompts safety warning


Dale Spridgeon

FIRE officers are warning residents of the dangers of electrical fires, and the importance of using smoke alarms, after a couple were rescued from a fire at their home in Amlwch.

The couple, who were rescued in the early hours of Monday, April 10, were taken to Ysbyty Gwnedd for treatment for smoke inhalation.

Crews from Amlwch and Benllech were called to the property on Chapel Street, Amlwch Port, at 2.54am.

Firefighters led the couple from the property and used one hose reel and four sets of breathing apparatus to tackle the fire, which originated in the kitchen area.

The fire is thought to have been caused by a faulty dehumidifier and there were no working smoke alarms fitted in the property.

A spokesman for Welsh Ambulance Services confirmed: “We were called at about 3am to reports of a house fire on Chapel Street, Amlwch Port.

”We sent a paramedic in a rapid response car and two emergency ambulances and a man and a woman were taken to Ysbyty Gwynedd in a stable condition.”

Mike Owen from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Smoke alarms give an early warning which allow you the opportunity to escape as quickly as possible from a fire in your home.

”This couple were extremely lucky to have escaped with their lives. Please ensure that you have working smoke alarms fitted on every floor of your home and test them weekly.

"It's important to operate appliances according to the manufacturer instructions. So many residents use extension cables which are coiled- up and we would recommend that they are fully unwound prior to their use.

“This fire highlights the danger of electrical fires. Our advice is to be as prepared as possible by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes.

Steps to help prevent an electrical fire include: - DON'T overload sockets, DO Regularly check for worn or frayed wires., DO Unplug appliances when not in use, DO Keep appliances clean and in good working order and DO fully unwind extension cables prior to their use.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read