Popular footballer from Llangefni dies after Bangor assault


Dale Spridgeon

TRIBUTES are pouring in from the football community after 27-year-old man described a s “true gentleman” was found unconscious outside a Bangor nightclub and later died.

Police today named the victim as footballer Henry AYABOWEI who was found seriously injured outside Peep, on Dean Street, before 2am.

He was taken to Ysbyty Gwyned, then to Stoke on Trent,  where he died of serious injuries in hospital, in the early hours of Saturday, April 1.

A 26-year-old local man appeared before a special hearing at Llandudno Magistrates Court on Sunday, April 2, but has now  been arrested on suspicion of murder. Police had been granted a warrant of further detention for up to 36 hours. 

Senior Investigating Officer DCI Brian Kearney said: “Police were called at 1.53am on Saturday April 1, following reports that a man had been found in an unconscious state outside the nightclub.”

“Officers and paramedics carried out CPR prior to the victim being taken by Ambulance to Ysbyty Gwynedd. He was subsequently transferred to hospital in Stoke on Trent yesterday.

Despite the best efforts of members of the public, police officers, paramedics and medical teams involved the victim died at hospital in Stoke this morning.

Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this tragic time. The victim’s family continue to be supported by special trained Family Liaison Officers”.

DCI Kearney added: “Police need the support of the community and we urge everyone who witnessed this incident or its immediate aftermath to come forward – whether they consider they saw an incident or not we would like to speak to them.”

“To add to this we are keen to identify anyone who has and video or photographic images of Dean Street, Bangor between 1.30am and 2.15am on Saturday the April 1, to come forward. This includes any drivers who have Dash Cam footage from Dean Street between these times.”

“The 26-year-old local man arrested in connection with the incident, has now been arrested on suspicion of murder. A major incident room has been set up at Bangor Police Station, and a team of detectives are continuing to establish the full circumstances leading up to the victim’s tragic death”.

Inspector Owain Llewellyn, the North Gwynedd District Inspector, stated: “I am deeply shocked and saddened by the tragic death of this young family man.

”The thoughts of our community are with his wife, children and friends. Whilst incidents of this nature are very rare, and North Gwynedd is one of the safest parts of the United Kingdom, we will continue to work closely with our licensees, businesses and our partner agencies to prevent such tragic events.”

Clwb Pel-droed, Llanfairpwll Football Club said on it Facebook page: "It is with great regret that we have just heard the tragic news..We offer Henry's family and friends our sincerest condolences at this most heart breaking time. Gone but never forgotten, a true gentleman in every sense."

Llangefni Town FC said: "We are devastated to hear the news that former player Romeo has died in hospital today. Our thoughts go out to his family, rest in peace Romeo."

And Gaerwen FC siad "Everyone at the club is devastated to hear the news that Romeo has sadly passed away. All of our thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends at this incredibly sad time. A true gentleman, he will be missed both on and off the pitch by many. Rest in peace Romeo.

Anyone who may have any information is urged to call North Wales Police on 101. Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or contact the control room direct via the new web live chat http://www.north-wales.police.uk/contact/chat-support.aspx

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read