Two arrested in cup final crowd trouble


Tomos Hughes

TWO Caernarfon men were arrested after crowd trouble during a football match spilled over onto the pitch.

More than a 1,000 people attended the incident-packed NWCFA Challenge Cup final between Bangor City and Caernarfon Town on Tuesday evening.

A 17 year-old youth was arrested by police after attempting to enter the ground with a flare.

He was later released on bail.

The match was interrupted at one stage after flare was thrown on the pitch.
Caernarfon went on to win the match in a penalty shootout, and after hundreds of supporters invaded the pitch in the aftermath, a 23 year old Caernarfon man was arrested for disorder.

He was still in police custody at 12pm on Wednesday.

A North Wales Police spokeswoman added: “A minority of travelling supporters from Caernarfon were involved in minor disorder during what was primarily a trouble-free match.

“We will be liaising with both football clubs to seek their support in banning the individuals involved in disorder from their respective grounds.”

NWCFA general secretary Alun Foulkes said: "We are working with the FAW before taking the next steps."

Caernarfon Town manager Lee Dixon said: “As the manager, I can only apologise to Bangor City if one or two had done something out of order, and we can't condone that.

“But the majority of fans who have followed us throughout the season have been fantastic and well behaved.

“It's a bit of a dampener but as I said, it's something we hold our hands up and apologise to Bangor for.”

Bangor City secretary Gwynfor Jones said: “You can't search everybody and it was pre-planned to bring a flare.

“You can't account for that. I feel for the Caernarfon officials, they did their best and they couldn't help what happened.

“TNS have set the scene and supporters from other teams have seen that and think they can do the same. There is no room for flares in Welsh football.”

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read