FOOTBALL: TNS could face punishment after Bangor flare troubles


Tomos Hughes

FURTHER action could be taken against  The New Saints FC after a flare was let off inside the Bangor City clubhouse after their match on Good Friday.

A total of five flares were believed to have been set off at the ground, with TNS supporters igniting four during the match and one more inside the clubhouse toilets after the match, which saw TNS inflict a record 9-1 defeat on City.

FAW officials who were present at the match have reported the incident to the Association compliance department, which could lead to disciplinary action against the Oswestry club.

Welsh Premier League secretary wrote in the Welsh Premier Times: “One so called fan let off a green flare in the toilets of the clubhouse which could have had serious repercussions for anyone suffering from respiratory problems.

“I urge anyone with information regarding this incident to contact me please.

Gwynfor Jones, Bangor City secretary, said: “We are disappointed that Bangor City FC has yet to receive an official apology from any TNS officials, for the behaviour of the supporters after the match.”

On a more positive note for supporters, the club marked the 80th birthday of President Gwyn Pierce Owen by christening the main stand at Nantporth under his name.

Gwynfor Jones and FAW President Trefor Lloyd Hughes led the tributes during the unveiling of the ‘Gwyn Pierce Owen Stand’ plaque.

Mr Owen was also presented a portrait of himself by City fan Pete Jones and a signed and framed City shirt, before receiving video messages from former manager Nigel Adkins and his grandsons.

City are also playing host to another international match in the coming weeks.

Wales women will entertain their Montenegro counterparts in a World Cup qualifier at 7pm on Thursday, May 8.

Tickets are available to purchase at the Book People Stadium, or call 01248 355852 during office hours.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read