PROTESTORS feel energy chiefs have disregarded public opposition to controversial proposals for pylons connecting Anglesey with the mainland.
Campaigners gathered outside Anglesey Council’s headquarters in Llangefni on Tuesday as the National Grid was due to brief councillors on their consultation.
Anglesey cllr Dylan Rees, who was due to attend the meeting, said: “It is clear that the consultation carried out to date shows overwhelming opposition to the National Grid's favoured option of erecting a new corridor of pylons across the island.
The proposals to connect Wylfa to a new substation in Pentir have met strong opposition on both sides of the Menai Strait.
The National Grid’s consultation report said: “Many of the respondents did express concerns about the visual effect an additional overhead line on Anglesey would have, particularly in sensitive areas such as the Anglesey Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and at the Menai Strait.
The report said that “Generally, there was strong and widespread opposition to overhead line development.”
It added that there would be further opportunities to provide feedback as the consultation process continued.
Cllr Rees said the consultation showed that 92 per cent of its 1,549 respondents opposed pylons.
He added: “The people of Ynys Mon have strong and valid environmental, health and economic concerns regarding the detrimental impact that a new overhead connection would have.
“If the National Grid is serious about it's consultation process then it MUST listen to the views it has received and pursue a subsea option, despite the increased cost that this will involve.
“The concern we have is that they’re not listening.”
A National Grid spokeswoman said that no decision had been made as yet, and denied that public views had been ignored.
She added: “We’re still looking at all the options and obviously the opinions of local people are a very important part of the mix we have to draw from.”