Fire damaged Bangor school still awaiting refurbishment
19 June 2014 |
Read more articles by Tomos Hughes
Parts of Our Lady's RC School in Bangor were set ablaze on February 28.
A BANGOR primary school damaged by fire earlier this year is still waiting for essential repair work to be carried out.
Parts of Our Lady’s RC School suffered extensive smoke and fire damage after a blaze spread from the school outbuildings to the main building on Friday, February 28.
The school closed its doors for a week as school staff and health and safety workers worked hard to clear the mess left in the wake of the fire.
However, a series of delays to repairs has left large parts of the school derelict and unusable to this day, with junior pupils having to share an upstairs
classroom with infant pupils while they await their downstairs classroom to be refurbished.
Head teacher Ms Kay O’Hanlon said: “Unfortunately, nothing has happened. We’re still awaiting builders so there’s been no re-building work that’s taken place.
“There’s no time-frame in place, but we’d hope that the classroom would be up and running by September.
“When we have any extra support staff coming in, there’s no space for them to work, but everybody has been very understanding.
“The younger children have got a bit fed up by now, the novelty has definitely worn off.
“I suppose one good thing is that the older ones have taken more care of the younger children and it’s created a stronger relationships than before.”
Ann Roberts, head of the board of school governors, said the school has been inundated with donations and well-wishers since the blaze, including the donation of a football kit from Bangor City Football Club after the original kit was destroyed.
Mrs Roberts said: “We’d like to thank the headteacher and the staff for their perseverance and hard work.
“We’d like to think everyone who has sent us donations and their best wishes, especially Bangor City FC and the Catholic Parish of Bangor, who have been fantastic.”
For more news from across the region visit