AN ANGLESEY woman died from caffeine poisoning caused by a “huge” overdose equivalent to the amount in a hundred cups of coffee, an inquest heard.
Office worker Gemma Jones, aged 26, of Llanfaelog, overdosed on EPH-25 tablets - a compound similar to those taken by some athletes - and was found dead in bed at her home last November.
The tragic discovery was made by a friend, Martin Lloyd of Caernarfon, who said at the Llangefni inquest that he had "a gut feeling" after Miss Jones said in a text that "she can't keep on going like this", and so he went to her home.
After dialling 999 he tried in vain to revive her with CPR. He told coroner Dewi Pritchard-Jones : "I was devastated - we had plans coming up."
The coroner said police had retrieved messages from her mobile phone of a personal nature which he would not disclose.
However, one said : "How long will 50 EPH take to shut down the body? Can't be long because I'm already tired."
Mr Pritchard-Jones said : "I don't know whether she was intending to kill herself or going through a depressive episode."
He recorded a narrative verdict that Miss Jones "did kill herself" without any finding regarding the mental element or other feature.
The coroner added : “This is an unusual case. She has taken a very high level of caffeine that led to her major organs not functioning. She died of caffeine toxicity.”
Mr Pritchard-Jones said it was a huge level of caffeine and deaths from that cause were extremely rare “in this part of the world.”
The inquest heard from pathologist Dr Mark Lord that it was estimated she had taken between 50 and 100 of the tablets.
The tablets, EPH-25, are of South American origin.