ad

Two youths arrested in connection with Bangor school arson

Published date: 06 March 2014 |
Published by: Tomos Hughes
Read more articles by Tomos Hughes


Photo by Kerry Roberts 

Our Lady's School head teacher Ms Kay O'Hanlon has been working to clear the mess cuased by the fire. 

Prev | Next
Images: 1 of 2

TWO youths have been arrested in connection with an arson attack at Our Lady's School in Bangor last week.

Two boys, aged 12 and 14, were arrested midweek and following questioning, were bailed from the police station
to allow officers time to complete their investigations.

The fire, which took place last Friday evening, February 28, damaged the school hall, a classroom and an outside store room.

Investigation officer, DC Gerallt Davies at Caernarfon CID, said: “Despite arrests having been made this enquiry is still in its infancy with a number of outstanding enquiries still to fully investigate and complete.

"I would like to hear from any potential witnesses who were in the area of the school during the afternoon or early evening of Friday, February 28. 

"Although the fire was discovered after 7pm I am very keen to hear from anyone who was in the area earlier in the afternoon and witnessed any suspicious behaviour or indeed anyone who has any information to contact Police and let us know.

“It is also worth adding to remind all in the community to remain vigilant at all times and if they see any suspicious behaviour let Police know immediately.”

It comes on the day that pupils return to the school, almost a week on from the fire.

Fire crews from Bangor and Menai Bridge were called to the scene at 7.29pm and used four sets of breathing apparatus, two hose reels, one main jet, a triple extension ladder and a thermal imaging camera to extinguish the blaze.

The fire left the outside store room with 90 per cent fire damage, while the classroom was left with 25 per cent fire damage and 100 per cent smoke damage.

The classroom's adjoining hallway also suffered 40 per cent smoke damage.

With the school closed this week, school staff and health and safety workers have been working hard to clear the mess caused by the blaze.

Head teacher, Ms Kay O’Hanlon, said: “The hall that’s connected to the classroom is totally gutted. Unless we get fire alarms set up in the building, it isn’t safe.

“It was a shocking scene.

“Realising that it wasn’t the complete building on fire was a relief, but for a small area to be on fire it caused a huge amount of smoke damage.

“It’s just been such a waste of time. I’ve spent Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday here, and none of that time was spent with the children at all. All I’m doing is cleaning up a mess that shouldn’t be
here in the first place. It’s extremely frustrating.

“It goes beyond just the school, it affects the whole community.”

Anyone with information should contact North Wales Police on 101 or alternatively via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 and quote incident RC14030529.

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

Comments are closed for this story.

Comments are closed for this story.

Featured Businesses

View all adverts