A POPULAR Anglesey tourist hotspot is facing a race to be open in time for Christmas after a fire broke out last week.
Fire crews were deployed to James Pringle Weavers outlet store in Llanfairpwll at 6.35am on Friday morning, after an automatic alarm detected a fire in the store restaurant.
One fire crew from Menai Bridge station and two from Bangor attended the scene, using one hose reel jet, six sets of breathing apparatus and two thermal imaging cameras to tackle the blaze.
The fire was eventually brought under control, and fire investigators concluded that the fire was started by an electrical fault in the fridge.
No one was hurt in the incident, but the blaze was said to have spread across 20 square metres of the store and caused 100 per cent smoke damage.
Myfanwy Williams, of the Glan Menai fish and chip shop, opposite Pringles, said: “It’s a shame because it’s so close to Christmas, but thank god no one was hurt, although it will be no consolation to them. It can have an effect on us and other businesses.
“Without Pringles, there’s nothing else in Llanfair.”
Councillor Alun Mummery said: “It’s a loss to them and the village. There are implications that people are bypassing Llanfair now to go to other places, and the danger is that tourist might like those other places.”
Store management could not confirm when the store would be re-opening, although they confirmed it would remained closed for the “forseeable future."