Prince William completes final shift on Anglesey
12 September 2013 |
Read more articles by Tomos Hughes
PRINCE William is set to leave the military after he completed his final shift at RAF Valley this week.
His three year tour of duty as a Search and Rescue pilot at the island’s air base came to an end on Tuesday, September 10.
Royal sources confirmed the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, would bring to an end their three-year stay on the island, and move to their official residence at Kensington Palace with son, Prince George.
The Duke is now considering a number of options for public in future, and will continue undertaking his royal duties and working with charities.
A Kensington Palace spokeswoman said: “His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge is to leave operational service in the Armed Forces.
“He completes his Tour with the Royal Air Force Search and Rescue Force at RAF Valley, Anglesey, after more than seven-and-a-half years of full-time military service.”
The prince announced his departure from Anglesey in a speech at the Anglesey County Show last month.
He also paid tribute to the island and its residents, for the welcome shown to him and his wife.
He said i: "I know that both of us will miss it terribly when my Search and Rescue tour of duty comes to an end next month and we have to move elsewhere.
“From the bottom of my heart, thank you for making my wife and me so welcome when we arrived here, as you do thousands of visitors each year.
“This island has been our first home together, and it will always be an immensely special place for us both. Catherine and I look forward to returning again and again over the coming years with our family.”
In his three years at the air base, Flight Liuentenant Wales took part in 156 rescues, resulting in 149 people being rescued.
For more news from across the region visit