Beaumaris council approves flood alleviation plans
12 September 2013 |
Read more articles by Tomos Hughes
Flood waters have blighted Beaumaris in the past.
PLANS to bolster flood defences in Beaumaris will help "residents sleep easier at night", according to the town's flood warden.
Town Councillor Jason Zalot believes plans put forward by Anglesey County Council Flood Risk Management Officer, Rowland Thomas and Coastal Engineering UK Ltd could help prevent a repeat of the floods seen in the town last year, which were, "nearly disastrous".
Included in the plans are designs for a new sea wall on the town's green, a large bund on the north side of the castle, an extension of piping from the Maes Hyfryd to link into the existing pipe network, and raising the defences near Gallows Point.
The council are hoping to apply for Welsh Government funding in the coming months to pay for the estimated £1.35 million pound cost of the improvements.
Cllr Zalot said: "I was absolutely blown away by the plans. On December 14 last year, you could have taken a surfboard down the green with the surf waves coming over the wall.
"Should these plans be put in place, the people in Beaumaris who were worried about flooding last year, can sleep easier at night. The town council are onboard.
"Anglesey council's efforts are greatly appreciated."
Historically, parts of the town have been subjected to flood problems as a result of both heavy rainfall and tide and waves.
The areas worst affected include Castle Street, the B5109, the A545, Wexham Street, Church Street, Rating Row and lower parts of the town centre.
The proposals, which were put forward to the town council earlier this week, were unanimously approved.
Mayor Cllr Dan Jones, said: "I hope the work comes to fruition and you get funding. It would be great if we could get this in place by 2014 or 2015, which would be a miracle if it happens, but we would certainly welcome it."
Anglesey councillor Carwyn Jones added: “Should this project be accepted by the Welsh Government, it could make a difference to the lives of the people in Beaumaris and the devastating effects they've faced over the years due to flooding problems.
"As a county councillor, this proposal has my 100 per cent backing."
The county council is now urging the public to have their say on the plans in a public consultation.
The event will be held from midday to 8pm at Beaumaris Town Hall on Tuesday, September 24.
For more information about the consultation, contact Rowland Thomas on 01248 752312 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.