THE gauntlet has been thrown down for Bangor City Council to take over the city’s carnival and festive celebrations.
That is the view of outgoing The People of Bangor Community Group chairman Nigel Pickavance, who added the group would struggle to survive if it does not find a new leader.
Mr Pickavance, also a city and Gwynedd councillor, said the next Bangor Pride project officer should take charge of the events.
He said: “What I hope is that the new officer has their name next to the celebrations, and will do what I do now as the chairman and be the main organiser.
“What we’ve done for six years is what the council should be doing - it’s what other councils do, for example Caernarfon Town Council, who organise fantastic events.”
He added that TPBCG would continue as volunteer for the events, but added that a lack of volunteers was a problem, and that the group was “seriously considering” disbanding if a new chairman is not found.
Bangor town clerk Gwyn Hughes said the council offered TPBCG a total of £3,100 for the events last year, but the group could only justify a grant of £900.
He added that TPBCG was in a better position to secure grant funding than the city council.
Mr Hughes said that the events “did not fit naturally” into the council’s remit, and added: “Certainly with the Bangor Carnival, and with other places, it is a volunteer and community thing.
“We are supportive, as we are of anything that’s happening in Bangor, and if we can give support we will, as we have done in the past.
Mr Pickavance said problems providing financial information were due to the complicated application process.
This year’s carnival will be held at King George’s field on Satruday, June 8.