BEAUMARIS Leisure Centre could be forced to close for good after a request for funding from the town council was rejected.
Friends of Beaumaris Leisure Centre requested a donation of £40,000 per year to keep the leisure centre going, but the request was turned down at a meeting last week.
The council voted to offer the group £7,000 a year, rising up to £10,000 with donations from other community councils in the vicinity, but the group say that this lower figure may jeopardise their chances of receiving other grants.
Alwyn Rownlands, Chairman of Friends of Beaumaris Leisure Centre, said: “We are naturally disappointed that we haven’t had the offer that we asked for.
“There is a danger for the project to fall through altogether following this. A lot of the grants we have applied for are dependant on what the town council gives us.
“It’s not an easy situation because so many people have worked so hard, for free, over the last few months. They’ve given a lot of their time to this project and it would be a great shame if it would be to fall through now.”
The group resolved to take over the after Anglesey Council last year it would outsource the running of the leisure centre.
Mayor of Beaumaris, Cllr Jason Zalot said: “It became very quickly apparent that we didn’t have the money for this.
“The committe were asking for £40,000 a year, and had we agreed to that, it would have bankrupted the town council.
It would be wrong to saddle the new council in May, having spent all the money.”
The handover of the leisure from Anglesey council to the Canolfan commitee was due to take place on April 1, but the group will now hold meetings to decide on the future of the centre.