A YOUNG woman says she is lucky to be alive after her drink was spiked on a night out in Bangor on Saturday.
Emma Paterson, aged 20, from Llangwyllog, said she ended up in Ysbyty Gwynedd, slipping in and out of consciousness, after she was found alone outside Peep night club at around 11pm.
Emma said she had only had three drinks and was shocked to wake up in a hospital bed at 3am with her mother, Carol, at her side.
“I remember the night up unit about 11pm and I last remember being in the White Lion Pub,” she said.
“I woke up and remember thinking ‘what am I doing here’, and all I could hear was my mum crying.
“I also remember not being able to see - I thought I had lost my sight.
“I’m still not 100 per cent now.”
Emma, who works at Supertemps Limited in Bangor, believes it is important to raise awareness of the potential dangers of being spiked.
“I could have died or been seriously assaulted,” she said.
“I don’t think a lot of people take notice really, and apparently I wasn’t the only girl to get spiked on Saturday night.”
She was on a night out with four friends and became separated from them as the night went on.
Emma said her mother was alerted to her condition after a bouncer phoned her.
“When she arrived to get me, she decided to take me to the hospital because she said I wasn’t myself.
“My mum had never seen me in that state,” she added.
“I’m always responsible when I go out, and I don’t get drunk - it has put me off going out for a while.”
A spokesperson for NHS Wales said: “Drink spiking is illegal, whether or not an attack or assault has been carried out.
“It can result in a maximum punishment of 10 years in prison for anyone who is found guilty of doing it.”
Advice issued by North Wales Police urges residents enjoying a night out to keep an eye on their drink at all times.
It read: “Keep an eye on your drink in pubs and clubs; make sure that a friend is looking after your drink when you go on the dance floor or to the toilet. Never give somebody the opportunity to spike your drink.